Re: st: Spss vs Stata

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Spss vs Stata
Date   Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:02:36 +0000

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Data Analytics Corp.
<> wrote:
> To me, the gist of the thread on SPSS and Stata is how to get
> useful output to give to anyone, and my vote is for functions that are
> PowerPoint oriented.

If you genuinely want to be able to "give to anyone" then you
shouldn't use a closed proprietary format such as PowerPoint!

Its been mentioned already, but you can use LaTeX to produce [PDF]
slides (using Beamer or Prosper packages) so all the talk of LaTeX
functions for formatting output is perfectly applicable, and the
results would be more transferable than PPT.

I suspect the crux is that your clients want PPT's that they can edit,
which is slightly tricky if you provide them with a compiled PDF.

> I welcome any suggestions on how to get output into PowerPoint easily,
> quickly, and with minimum reformatting.

Sorry never use PowerPoint (there is no Linux version from M$, nor do
I use OpenOffice).

"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)

Email -
Website -
Photos -