Re: st: Adding a blank space at the end of a variable in preparation for reclink

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Adding a blank space at the end of a variable in preparation for reclink
Date   Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:59:38 +0530

You should try regular expressions. Stata's implementation should be
sufficient for your purposes. For example, "$" anchors to the end of
the string:

clear
input str20 street_names
"something st"
"stover st"
"boulevard blvd"
"avenue q"
"q ave"
end
li
replace street_names = regexr(street_names, "ave$", "avenue")
replace street_names = regexr(street_names, "blvd$", "boulevard")
replace street_names = regexr(street_names, "st$", "street")
li

2010/8/2 Duha Altindag <[email protected]>:
> I think this should insert a blank to the end:
>
> g street_adress2=street_adress+" "
>
> Also, I remember existence of command that creates the mirror image of
> a string, like "abcd" turned into "dcba". If you could convert
> street_adress into its mirror image, sall this new variable ss, then
> each observation in ss will start like either "ts" or "eva" or "dvlb".
>  For example, "Staton st" will be "ts notatS". Then you can use
> subinstr(ss, "ts", "teerts",1) will convert first "ts" in ss into
> "teerts". Finally you can again use this mirror image command to
> convert the variable into nice looking street adress variable.
> Hope this helps.
> Duha
>
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Matthew Krauchunas
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to clean up street addresses in preparation for a fuzzy
>> merge via reclink.  I want to change st --> street, ave --> avenue, rd
>> --> road etc.  I am running into a problem though as those characters
>> are normally at the end of a string.  Thus, I cannot use commands
>> like:
>>
>> replace street_address=subinstr( street_address, " st", " street ", .)
>> replace street_address=subinstr( street_address, " ave", " avenue ", .)
>> replace street_address=subinstr( street_address, " blvd", " boulevard ", .)
>>
>> Because it will change street names like "Stover" in street over.  I
>> am thinking of adding an extra space at the end of street_address,
>> running replace commands, and then removing the extra space via rtrim
>> command.  Does this sound like a good plan of attack?  If so, does
>> someone know how I can add a space the end of each of these
>> observations?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Matt
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:

> *   For searches and help try:

To every ω-consistent recursive class κ of formulae there correspond
recursive class signs r, such that neither v Gen r nor Neg(v Gen r)
belongs to Flg(κ) (where v is the free variable of r).