st: Debugging: reporting line number of loop or do-file causing error

From   Aleksander Rutkowski <alek.rutkowski@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Debugging: reporting line number of loop or do-file causing error
Date   Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:05:43 +0200

Hello,

Is there any convenient way to make Stata report (together with an
error message) the line number of a loop or a line number of a do-file
which is causing an error?  In general, I think this is an important
feature needed for efficient debugging.

When loops are executed, the commands are not reported in the results
window, so it is difficult to quickly identify which command causes an
error. So far, I used the following solution, but it is not very
convenient:

local i 0
forval j = 1/100 {
   local ++i