Re: st: Categorical variable models - weight option

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: Categorical variable models - weight option
Date   Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:03:42 -0400

If weights are provided with the database (references, please, as the
FAQ request, as many people, like me, will not know what it is)., they
will ordinarily be -pweights- and you should -svyset- your data to
account for the design. .  Consult the study documentation for the

; I doubt if it states that the weights are "analytic". Often, but not
always, -aweights- and -iweights- will give identical results.
  You must use the weights, or your estimates will be biased, compared
to what you would get if you have a simplerandom sample.  If there was
multistage sampling, then your standard errors are incorrect if you do
not specify the design with -svyset-.

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Leonor Saravia <> wrote:
> Dear Statalisters,
> Currently, I am working with social protection database, with which I
> have estimate different models, like OLS and 2SLS. Ussualy, when I run
> these kind of models I use the analytic weights ('aweight') to expand
> the sample to the population estimates. Now, I am performing
> categorical variable models: logit, probit, multinomial logit and
> multinomial probit, but when I try to use the 'aweight' option on the
> probit or logit estimation, Stata brings this error: "aweight not
> allow". However, when I run the mlogit or mprobit (usig Stata 10), the
> regression runs well.
> I think that the option in this kind of models is to use the 'pweight'
> option, but I do not know if this is correct or if it is a better
> option not to use weights . I would greatly appreciate your
> suggestions and advice on applying the "weight" option.
> Kind regards,
> Leonor Saravia
> *
> *   For searches and help try: