RE: st: RE: collapse is too memory demanding

From   Oliver Jones <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: collapse is too memory demanding
Date   Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:04:29 +0200

Thanks for your advice.

Today I spoke to a colleague on the phone and he thinks that -collapse- saves the results (in my case the sums) in a new double variable in the original dataset.

The answer to my question therefore might be, that in my case I approximately need additional 70*8*20000000 bytes, i.e. 10.6 GB free memory. The calculation goes as follows: I collapse a varlist of 70 variables, thus stata generates 70 double variables each requiring 8 bytes per observation and I got 20 million observations...

@ Nick: The -tabstat- is not exactly what I need, because it allows just one varname in the by(varname) option and I need two. Besides I want to save the results in a file.

@ David: The workaround is going to be the solution!