[no subject]

I want to calculate the  row sum of all *_F variables pertaining to eu
countries (all excluding US_F):
egen eutotal=rowtotal(GE_F NL_F  UK_F)

However, I would prefer to follow some rules in selecting the variables, like

levels country if eu==1, local(lev)
egen eutotal=rsum(`lev'_F)

This doesn't work, however. Any pointers would be appreciated.