RE: st: chi2 goodness-of-fit test

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: chi2 goodness-of-fit test
Date   Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:57:48 +0100

Noting that -csgof- (Michael N. Mitchell, UCLA) does not allow -if-, the
list of possibilities under this heading includes

-mgof- (Ben Jann, SJ)

SJ-8-2  st0142  . Multinomial GOF: Large-sample svy & small-sample exact
        (help mgof if installed)  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
B. Jann
        Q2/08   SJ 8(2):147--169
        computes distributional tests for discrete (categorical,
        multinomial) variables and supports large-sample tests for
        complex survey designs and exact tests for small samples

-chitest-, -chitesti- from -tab_chi- (NJC, SSC)

-cagof- in Steve's posting looks like a typo for -csgof-. I'd cavil at
the description in -csgof- that it's a test for comparing percentages.
It's a test for comparing frequencies, not quite the same thing.

Steven Samuels

As asked by the FAQ, please give the source of all non-official commands

The following will work.
keep if variable ==1
cagof ???

But -mgof-  (from SSC) is a better command in many ways, including its
ability to accept an -if- clause.