Re: st: Unbalanced repeated measures analysis question

From   K Jensen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Unbalanced repeated measures analysis question
Date   Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:50:09 +0100

I would like to just try to play around with it before I commit to a
book.  The repeated measure terms (MeasurerID, SubjectID) are not
nested. I think I would like to model with these as random effects and
measurer type as a fixed effect, having multiple measurements for each
and not being interested in individual subjects or measurers.

xi:xtmixed Result i.MeasurerType ||   SubjectID: || MeasurerID:

is *not* right for this, but I can't see any mention of non-nested
models in the help.

Thankyou

Karin

On 22 July 2010 14:35, Ploutz-Snyder, Robert (JSC-SK)[USRA]
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Karin,
>
> You could define your model the way you suggested, yes, however
> mixed models can be specified a number of different ways
> depending on your research goals and how you want to consider the
> nesting of your repeated measures factors (i.e. random terms).
>
> There are a number of excellent books on this type of analysis,
> going by names including mixed-effects modeling, mixed modeling,
> higher level modeling (HLM), multi-level modeling (MLM) and
> probably a few other terms... If you are interested in a more
> Applied book that uses Stata in particular, Rabe-Hesketh and
> Skrondal put together a nice one book called Multilevel and
> Longitudinal Modeling Using Stata.  I think you might do well to
> take a course in MLM if you can to at least wrap your brain
> around the theory. But if you want to jump right in then a book
> like this one could get you going in the right direction.
>
> Rob