st: bootstrapping when setting cmd in an ado file

From   Matthias Schonlau <>
Subject   st: bootstrapping when setting cmd in an ado file
Date   Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:44:45 +0200

Dear statalisters,

(Using stata Version 10.1, Windows, 32 bit)

I wrote a (long) ado file called rds. One of the functions inside the ado
file sets cmd:
        ereturn local cmd="bootstrap"

If I set cmd="bootstrap", the program and bootstrapping the program work
However, I believe  cmd should be set to the ado program name

        ereturn local cmd="rds"

When I do this , the program rds works , but bootstrapping rds does not

. bootstrap _b ,   reps(2500) notable  : rds key, id(id) degree(degree)
recruiter_id(p_id) recruiter_var(p_key)
(running rds on estimation sample)
variable degree not found in option degree()
an error occurred when bootstrap executed rds

Two comments:
1) the option "degree" specifies the name of a variable in the data set. I
am not sure whether this matters.
2) As required, I am setting "esample"
        gen esample =`touse'
        ereturn post b, esample (esample)

I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Best wishes,

Matthias Schonlau, Ph.D.
German Institute for Economic Research (DIW)
RAND Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA , USA

Phone (49) 30 -89789 - 319
Mail: DIW Berlin, 10108 Berlin, Germany