st: AW: unbalanced panel

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: unbalanced panel
Date   Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:19:10 +0200

Welcome to the Stata community, good to see you :-)

ad 1): The ones in red are strings, and you may want to turn them into
numeric variables via -destring- or -encode-. Give a more detailed
description, and you will get more detailed advice.

ad 2): You probably failed to -xtset- beforehand, so Stata cannot tell which
are the panel ids in your data.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 22. Juli 2010 11:15
Betreff: st: unbalanced panel

Hi everybody!
I would like to ask your help on unbalanced panel in Stata.
As I'm a begginner in Stata, sorry if my questions are silly!
I have create a sheet in Excel that consists of 25 countries with
covering a 18 year period. For some countries some observations for some
are missing, so I left these cells empty and I think I should run an
panel (two way FE) to see the time and country effects.
1)I have imported these data in Stata and some of my observations are marked
red whereas some other are as usual in black letters. Do these red written
observations indicate that something's going wrong or is it so because they
decimal numbers including commas?
2)When I'm trying to estimate the time effects and two way fixed effects in
data the xtreg does not work.
appears in Stata screen.
Perhaps I do not use the right commands.
I follow the process that Βaum suggests in his book.
That is:
.tabulate year, generate (yr)
.forvalues i=1990/2007{
2. local ++j
3. rename yr'j' yr'i'
4. quietly replace yr'i'=yr'i'-yr18
5. }
.drop yr18
Can you please suggest which command should I use?
Many thanks!