Re: st: conflicting results on interaction effect

From   "Casey P. Durand" <>
Subject   Re: st: conflicting results on interaction effect
Date   Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:51:20 -0700

Yes, the coefficient of X is the relationship between X and Y when and
only when Z=0.  Assuming you want to leave your coefficients in their
raw forms, i.e. not exponentiating them and getting odds ratios, then
to understand what is happening when Z=1, you have to create a new
variable in which you reverse the coding of your original Z variable,
(call it Z_new) such that the old 1 becomes the new 0 and the old 0
becomes the new 1.  You then have to create a new interaction term
with Z_new and X , and then substitute them both into your original
model.  The X coefficient for this new model will now be the effect of
X on Y when Z is equal to 1, using the coding scheme of your original
Z variable.  These two models will then provide the coefficients, p
values and confidence intervals necessary to do a simple slopes
analysis of your interaction.

As for graphing, check out the user written command -predxcon-.  This
provides a very simple way to graph a continuous by categorical

Hopefully this is clear enough to make sense.