RE: st: Unbalanced repeated measures analysis question

From   "Ploutz-Snyder, Robert (JSC-SK)[USRA]" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   RE: st: Unbalanced repeated measures analysis question
Date   Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:37:24 -0500

I feel your pain RE Stata's anova syntax for repeated measures...  But I also agree with David that I think your better bet is probably to use -xtmixed- and then apply -margins- for  your post-hoc comparisons, given the imbalance issue.  You can use -margins- to compare each of the three measures to the gold standard--akin to simple effect contrasts.

If you wish to remain in the anova syntax, you might want to check out the user written -anovalator- command, thanks to Phil Ender from UCLA.  But from the sounds of your imbalanced design, I would tend to lean more to -xtmixed- with -margins-

(BTW--the Phil's website at UCLA has some nice walk-throughs of all of this.)

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Airey, David C
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:07 PM
Subject: re: st: Unbalanced repeated measures analysis question

I think when you have comparisons to a gold standard, or all comparisons with one control, that there are specific ANOVA post-hoc tests that perform better than all possible or all pairwise comparisons procedures.

There is the complication that you are testing for equivalence, as you say.

The Stata command -xtmixed- can do what -anova- can. Sometimes -manova- or -mvtest- is useful with repeated measures too.

It is hard to understand how your design is unbalanced without seeing the data cross-tabs, etc.