Re: st: bootstrap _b VS bootstrap _se

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: bootstrap _b VS bootstrap _se
Date   Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:26:22 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 21/7/10, Sirak wrote:
> But what if the coefficients which I found them significant
> ( with high t-values) in SUREG are not more significant in
> bootstrap _b, reps(1000). Isnt it this means the orginal
> findings dont replicate??

No, these are two different ways of estimating the standard
errors. There exist (often conflicting) arguments you can use
to choose one method over the other, but if you find that the
method matters, then I would just conclude that we don't know
whether that statistic is significant or not. Some people use
the term "on the boundary of significance".

Remember that the standard error, and thus the p-values and
confidence intervals, are also just estimates, and thus are
themselves also uncertain. So, it should not come as a
surprise that there exists a grey area where we don't know
whether a statistic is significant or not. Normally we don't
estimate the uncertainty in our standard errors, so we don't
notice it. We only tend to find this grey area when we
compare different methods of estimating the standard errors,
as you found out.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis