RE: st: logistic regression predictors

From   lilian tesmann <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: logistic regression predictors
Date   Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:47:28 +1030

Thank you Steve for the idea and useful instructions.
This sounds like a promising way to go.

Lilian

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: st: logistic regression predictors
> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:19:14 -0400
>
> --
>
> In fact, if you feed the two-time data to -cart-, as I suggested, the
> log rank test in -cart- (which is -stcox- with the breslow option for
> ties), will be equivalent to the stratified mantel-haenzel test for
> binary data. Thus -cart- will provide a defensible split for binary
> data. This splitting algorithm not equivalent to that in the original
> CART method; also -cart- does not prune its trees and so risks over-
> splitting. It continues to split if there are at least enough events;
> if there is a split which enough observations on each side of the
> split; and if a pvalue adjusted for multiple comparisons is too
> small. The minimum required numbers of events and observations are
> set by the minfail() and minsize() options; the default values are 10.
> The default pvalue is 0.05, also settable.
>
> To calculate the error rate You have to identify the observations in
> each final node; classify each observation according to whether the
> proportion of events in the node is>.5 or <.5; then compute the
> percent of correct classifications overall (also, for each node if you
> wish, but these will not be too precise.)
>
> Steve
>

> On Jul 18, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Steve Samuels wrote:
>

> I was wrong about the utility of -cart- and -boost- for your data.
> --boost- is not useful when the predictors are indicator variables, as
> yours seem to be. (You haven't given many details). -cart- is intended
> for failure time data, not binary data.
>
> With a small number of predictors, you might be able to do a
> classification tree "by hand". -cart- might guide you to a possible
> tree: simply set up two times: a shorter one for deaths and a longer
> one for survivors. -cart- will show the numbers of cases and failures
> and each terminal node. The error rate will be optimistic, because
> it is measured on the same data used to form the tree. To get a more
> accurate error rate, you could also manually do a cross-validation.
> Most simply, randomly split your data into a "training" and "test"
> sets. Develop your tree on the training set, and estimate it's
> accuracy (percent correctly predicted) on your "test" set. This can
> be improved by k-fold cross-validation Randomly divide your data into
> k (say 10) sets, omit one at a time, do -cart- on the remainder and
> test the resulting prediction on the omitted set. Your estimate of
> prediction error is the average of the 10.
>
> I also suggest that you also look at the counts, deaths, and rates for
> all combinations of your predictors. See -crp- by Nick Cox,
> downloadable from SSC.
>
> Steve
>
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Steve Samuels <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> [...]
Need a new place to live? Find it on Domain.com.au
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157631292/direct/01/