AW: st: AW: Fitted probabilities using prvalue for logit model

From   "Marc Michelsen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: AW: Fitted probabilities using prvalue for logit model
Date   Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:53:59 +0200

Many thanks for the various alternatives mentioned by Steve and Maarten. I
will try to figure out which one is well suited for my kind of analysis.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Steve Samuels
Gesendet: Freitag, 16. Juli 2010 17:02
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: AW: Fitted probabilities using prvalue for logit model

I don't know what you mean by "determine the relative importance of my
additional dummy variables relative to the benchmark model with its
explanatory variables?"  But in this case -prvalue- is obviously not
working for you.

How are you measuring "importance"?

 If you mean "significance", have you tested the joint significance of
the two variables with -test-? (Adding variables will always increase
the log-likelihood, so "improvement" is not a guide).   If the
criterion of importance is "predictive accuracy", then compare ROC
curves for the two models with -roccomp-.  Unfortunately, the ROCs for
both models will be systematically optimistic, but the differences
could still be revealing. For better accuracy, some kind of
cross-validation approach is needed.

For cross-validation approaches, see:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-02/msg00686.html
An unreferenced Stata program for cross-validation is contained in:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg82508.html

There is also a literature on "proportional reduction in error"
approaches, including partial r-squares.  See: Agrestic, Analysis of
Categorical Data, 2nd Ed (2002) Wiley, Chapter 6.  Measures of
r-square based on the log-likelihood are difficult to interpret (p.
227). A Google search will turn up many references.

(By the way, -prvalue- is not an official Stata command.  I presume it
is user-written. Please, as the FAQ request, give references for all
the non-Stata commands you use.)

Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]