Re: st: Re: Equivalent to matcell in table

Subject   Re: st: Re: Equivalent to matcell in table
Date   Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:27:25 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 14/7/10, Tobias Friedli wrote:
> I already have a excel file with all
> the Solver stuff set up to do some optimization on a log
> likelihood function derived from the matrix. I would like to
> do it in Stata, but i am just do not have the skills
> to programm it in stata, this is why i use excel for the
> optimization.

That worries me. Regardless of its strenghts and weaknesses,
Excel just is not made to do this kind of stuff. You really
really really want to use purpose written software, like Stata,
to this kind of maximization of the likelihood, it is just
too easy to get it wrong.

If you want to implement your model in Stata (and I repeat,
I strongly recommend that you do), than you will want to
have this book on your desk:
http://www.stata.com/bookstore/mle.html

In addition, if you can wait a while, during the next Italian
Stata Users' meeting there will be a course on programming
in Stata: <http://www.stata.com/meeting/italy10/>

> If i use the -outfile-  i get a .txt with some tousend
> rows and 3 colums. But what i want is to have the matrix (as
> displayed for -table- , i.e 700 rows and 700 colums). how
> can i do that?

You will need to use -reshape- to get your data in the right
format.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis