Bookmark and Share

Notice: On March 31, it was announced that Statalist is moving from an email list to a forum. The old list will shut down on April 23, and its replacement, statalist.org is already up and running.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: Re: Replacing Address Information in Panel Data Set


From   Matthew Krauchunas <krauchunasms@mymail.vcu.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Re: Replacing Address Information in Panel Data Set
Date   Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:04:19 -0400

Hi Eric,

I ran the code you provided below and the address portion worked
great.  However, I received a "_merge
nonmissing conflict (5)" under the Stata created merge variable.  I
also noticed that Stata changed all the names to match.  For example,
Emmmanuel Convalescent Hospital Alameda became Crown Bay Nursing and
Rehab for all observations with osphd_fac_no 206010734.  I need the
names to stay the same.  Here is the output so you can see
specifically what I am talking about:

oshpd_fac_no	year	facility_name	street_address	city	zip_code	state	_merge
206010736	2002	CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB	508 WESTLINE
DRIVE	ALAMEDA	94501-5847	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010736	2003	CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB	508 WESTLINE
DRIVE	ALAMEDA	94501-5847	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010736	2004	CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB	508 WESTLINE
DRIVE	ALAMEDA	94501-5847	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010736	2006	CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB	508 WESTLINE
DRIVE	ALAMEDA	94501-5847	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010736	2007	CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB	508 WESTLINE
DRIVE	ALAMEDA	94501-5847	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010736	2008	CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB	508 WESTLINE
DRIVE	ALAMEDA	94501-5847	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010752	2002	ASHBY CARE CENTER	2270 ASHBY
AVENUE	BERKELEY	94705-1935	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010752	2003	ASHBY CARE CENTER	2270 ASHBY
AVENUE	BERKELEY	94705-1935	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010752	2004	ASHBY CARE CENTER	2270 ASHBY
AVENUE	BERKELEY	94705-1935	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010752	2006	ASHBY CARE CENTER	2270 ASHBY
AVENUE	BERKELEY	94705-1935	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010752	2007	ASHBY CARE CENTER	2270 ASHBY
AVENUE	BERKELEY	94705-1935	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)
206010752	2008	ASHBY CARE CENTER	2270 ASHBY
AVENUE	BERKELEY	94705-1935	CA	nonmissing conflict (5)

Is there a way to tell Stata to only replace certain variables?

Thanks,
Matt


On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Eric Booth <ebooth@ppri.tamu.edu> wrote:
> <>
>
> Use -merge- by the "oshpd_fac_no" with the update and replace options:
>
> *****************!
> clear
> inp oshpd_fac_no    year    str50 facility_name    str25(street_address    city)    zip_code
> 206010734    2002    "EMMANUEL COMVALESCENT HOSPITAL ALAMEDA"    "508 WESTLINE DRIVE"    "ALAMEDA"    91011
> 206010734    2003    "EMMANUEL CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL ALAMEDA"    "508 WESTLINE DRIVE"    "ALAMEDA"    91011
> 206010734    2004    "EMMANUEL CONVELESCENT HOSPITAL ALAMEDA"     "508 WESTLINE DRIVE"     "ALAMEDA" 91011
> 206010734    2006    "EMMANUEL CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL ALAMEDA"    "508 WESTLINE DRIVE"    "ALAMEDA"    91011
> 206010734    2007    "CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB"    "508 WESTLINE DRIVE"    "ALAMEDA"    91342
> 206010734    2008    "CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB"    "508 WESTLINE DRIVE"    "ALAMEDA"    91105
> 206010744    2002    "ASHBY CARE CENTER"    "2270 ASHBY AVENUE"    "BERKELEY"    94115
> 206010744    2003    "ASHBY CARE CENTER"    "2270 ASHBY AVENUE"    "BERKELEY"    96264
> 206010744    2004    "ASHBY CARE CENTER"    "2270 ASHBY AVENUE"    "BERKELEY"    92626
> 206010744    2006    "ASHBY CARE CENTER"    "2270 ASHBY AVENUE"    "BERKELEY"    90801
> 206010744    2007    "ASHBY CARE CENTER"    "2270 ASHBY AVENUE"    "BERKELEY"    94705
> 206010744    2008    "ASHBY CARE CENTER"    "2270 ASHBY AVENUE"    "BERKELEY"    94705
> end
> tostring oshpd, replace
> tostring zip_code, replace
> save master.dta, replace
>
>
> **Address corrected file:
> clear
> inp oshpd_fac_no str50 facility_name str25(street_address city) str5 state str12 zip_code
> 206010734 "CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB" "508 WESTLINE DRIVE" "ALAMEDA" "CA" "94501-5847"
> 206010744 "ASHBY CARE CENTER" "2270 ASHBY AVENUE" "BERKELEY" "CA" "94705-1935"
> end
> tostring oshpd, replace
> save using.dta, replace
>
> **Merge them together
> u master.dta, clear
> merge m:1 oshpd_fac_no using "using.dta", update replace   // <--using Stata 11 syntax
> ta _m
> *****************!
>
> ~ Eric
> __
> Eric A. Booth
> Public Policy Research Institute
> Texas A&M University
> ebooth@ppri.tamu.edu
> Office: +979.845.6754
>
>
> On Jul 12, 2010, at 9:16 PM, Matthew Krauchunas wrote:
>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have panel data with consists of a facility number unique to each address, facility name, city, state, and zip code.  I took that information, collapsed it, performed an outsheet, had all of the addresses verified/corrected via an address verification program, insheeted the results back into Stata, and saved it under a new file name.  My challenge now is how to put my master file back together with the addresses that were just corrected.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> Matt
>>>
>>>
>>> Master panel data file:
>>>
>>> oshpd_fac_no    year    facility_name    street_address    city    zip_code
>>> 206010734    2002    EMMANUEL COMVALESCENT HOSPITAL  ALAMEDA    508 WESTLINE DRIVE    ALAMEDA    91011
>>> 206010734    2003    EMMANUEL CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL  ALAMEDA    508 WESTLINE DRIVE    ALAMEDA    91011
>>> 206010734    2004    EMMANUEL CONVELESCENT HOSPITALALAMEDA    EMMANUEL CONVALESCENT HOSPITAL    508 WESTLINE DRIVE    91011
>>> 206010734    2006    EMMANUEL CONVALESCENT HOSPITALALAMEDA    508 WESTLINE DRIVE    ALAMEDA    91011
>>> 206010734    2007    CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB    508 WESTLINE DRIVE    ALAMEDA    91342
>>> 206010734    2008    CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB    508 WESTLINE DRIVE    ALAMEDA    91105
>>> 206010744    2002    ASHBY CARE CENTER    2270 ASHBY AVENUE    BERKELEY    94115
>>> 206010744    2003    ASHBY CARE CENTER    2270 ASHBY AVENUE    BERKELEY    96264
>>> 206010744    2004    ASHBY CARE CENTER    2270 ASHBY AVENUE    BERKELEY    92626
>>> 206010744    2006    ASHBY CARE CENTER    2270 ASHBY AVENUE    BERKELEY    90801
>>> 206010744    2007    ASHBY CARE CENTER    2270 ASHBY AVENUE    BERKELEY    94705
>>> 206010744    2008    ASHBY CARE CENTER    2270 ASHBY AVENUE    BERKELEY    94705
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Address corrected file:
>>> oshpd_fac_no facility_name street_address city state zip_code
>>> 206010734 CROWN BAY NURSING AND REHAB 508 WESTLINE DRIVE ALAMEDA CA 94501-5847
>>> 206010744 ASHBY CARE CENTER 2270 ASHBY AVENUE BERKELEY CA 94705-1935
>>
>> *
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


© Copyright 1996–2014 StataCorp LP   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index