st: syntax : keep variables listed in ìf'

From   SCHOUMAKER Bruno <>
Subject   st: syntax : keep variables listed in ìf'
Date   Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:34:30 +0200

I am using the syntax to prepare a stata command (ado file). I used the [if] in the syntax.

I would like find an easy way to extract the names of the variables appearing in the macro ìf'.

Let's say my macro `if' contains "if v106>2 & v011==4", I would like to create a macro containing just "v106 v011".

Actually, I only want to keep the subset of variables appearing in the syntax before running the program, so if there is a way to do that, I would be very very very interested.

Centre de recherche en démographie et sociétés
Université catholique de Louvain
1-17 PLace Montesquieu
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve

Tel. +32 10 474136