st: Data Extraction from Cells

From   Samuel Finkelstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Data Extraction from Cells
Date   Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:47:46 -0400

Dear All,

I apologize for what is most likely an elementary problem, but I
cannot seem to find a solution.  I am currently using a dataset that
includes multiple indicators within the same cell.  For instance, if a
firm is publicly traded, was incorporated in the last five years, and
is in the utilities industry, a single cell may contain information
such as 1A3B3N, with each number/letter combination denoting one of
these characteristics (with no spaces in between the various
combinations).  Is there a way that I can extract each of the
number/letter cominations into different (newly created) columns, such
that I have one column that has 1A, one column with 3B, and one with
3N?  For my purposes, the columns can contain different
codes/identifiers.  For example, the first column could have 1A for
Company A and 2F for Company B.  I am only trying to use these codes
to identify firms with two or three specific characteristics.

Again, I apologize for what may be a very simple question, but if
anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Respectfully,

Samuel