st: RE: RE: st : Calling a ML program in an ado file

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: st : Calling a ML program in an ado file
Date   Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:06:32 +0100

The difference is that your program -toto- calls -titi-, which is in the same file as -toto-,

whereas you want -ml- to call -myprobit-, which is not in the same file as -ml-.

You do not want -Example- to call -myprobit-.

-ml- does not know that it should look inside -Example-, which it was what you were asking.

Valerie Orozco

Thank you Nick. It works!
But what's the difference between  a standard ado file?
For example, the following ado file is composed by 2 ado and it works (titi is known when called.)

/*----------------------------- begin toto.ado-----------------------------*/
program toto
    version 11.1
    di in red "toto is running"

program titi
    version 11.1
    di "titi is in toto.ado"

/*----------------------------- end toto.ado-----------------------------*/

Thank you.

  "Nick Cox" <>

Try putting your -myprobit- program in a separate file -myprobit.ado-.

De : Valerie Orozco

I would like to create some ado-files in order to replicate some estimations on several data.
I have some problems calling ml program in my ado (they are not known).

Let's take a small example :

/*----------------------------- begin Example.ado-----------------------------*/
program Example
    version 11.1
    args varY X1 X2
    di "Call myprobit"
    ml model lf myprobit (`varY' = `X1'  `X2')
    ml maximize

program myprobit
    version 11
    args lnf theta1
    quietly replace `lnf' = ln(normal(`theta1')) if $ML_y1==1
    quietly replace `lnf' = ln(normal(-`theta1')) if $ML_y1==0

Running the ado "Example" gives the following message :

. Example foreign mpg weight
(1978 Automobile Data)
Call myprobit
unrecognized command:   myprobit

I don't understand why the program "myprobit", written in the ado file, remains unknown...
What is my mistake???
Thanks a lot.