st: RE: Problem creating large matrices

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Problem creating large matrices
Date   Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:56:04 +0100

You need to use Mata or just a Stata variable.

As you say, Stata matrices can not be made that large in any version or flavour of Stata.

As, on this evidence, all you want to do is store a single vector there is no evident gain to using Stata matrices any way.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Achilleas Vassilopoulos

I need to save the results of multiple estimations in a matrix. My
simulation produces 160,000 such results but when I'm trying to create a
matrix containing 160,000 rows with the following command: matrix beta = J
(160000,1,0), I get the following warning :

Matsize too small
You have attempted to create a matrix with more than 11000 rows or columns
or to fit a model with more than 11000 variables plus ancillary parameters.
You need to increase matsize using the set matsize command; see help
matsize.

However, the 'set matsize' command doesn't accept numbers greater than
11,000.

Does anyone know if there is another command to create the matrices which
doesn't fall into the matsize limitations or any other way to circumvent
this problem?