Re: st: overidentification test after cmp

From   Conor Hughes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: overidentification test after cmp
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:06:16 +0700

Hi Sharon,

Personally I've never used the --cmp-- command, so I can't really help
you on that point.  I did just want to warn you, in case this is a
paper you're hoping to publish or something, to be careful about your
wording.  There is no test that can prove that your IV's are
exogenous.  Overidentification can help you make your case, but it
doesn't at all prove that your instruments satisfy the exclusion
criteria.  Really the only way to proceed is with a reasoned
explanation about why you believe the instruments are exogenous.  I
don't know what your variables are exactly, but to claim that fem_work
and male_educ affect the number of children only through their effect
on fem_educ seems a bit tenuous.

I apologize that I couldn't answer your Stata question, but hopefully
this helps with your analysis and interpretation of the results in the
future.

-Conor