st: comparing strings

Subject   st: comparing strings
Date   Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:55:51 -0400

I have two variables name and name1 that contain strings. How can I compare whether the strings are the same or not? For example in the same row name can be "John Smith" and name1 can be "Ray Adams" so they are not the same. Or there can be another row that both name and name1 are "Jane Gore" so they are the same.

Thank you