st: fixed vs random effect model

From   "Airey, David C" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: fixed vs random effect model
Date   Sun, 4 Jul 2010 10:30:02 -0500

.

How can such a test tell you whether to treat a factor as fixed or random? It can only tell you about efficiency of the model. It is you who have to decide in advance what your hypothesis is and whether you want to know about those particular levels or not. Or is the choice in fixed versus random effects regression in econometrics more about the efficiency of estimation rather than interpretation?