Re: AW: st: RE: AW: RE: AW: Regressing and storing residuals in one line.

From   Dani Tilley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: RE: AW: RE: AW: Regressing and storing residuals in one line.
Date   Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:50:54 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for your response. I also think they should match and the # on the obs should be the the number of the observations used in the regression, not the total observations. The MW snippet is missing a condition in the  "predict res`lev', res" line. If you compare the residuals from these two, you'll notice the discrepancy.

///MW
sysuse auto, clear
qui levelsof rep78

foreach lev in
`r(levels)'{
    qui regress price weight length if rep78==`lev'
    predict res`lev', res
}

///NJC
sysuse auto, clear
qui levelsof rep78
gen residual = .

foreach lev in `r(levels)'{
   tempvar foo
   qui regress price weight length if rep78==`lev'
   predict `foo', res
   replace residual = `foo' if rep78 == `lev'
   drop `foo'
}

If, in MW, we say "predict res`lev' if rep78==`lev', res", the problem is fixed. This is all I meant.

Thanks a lot to Martin and you for the help.

Best,
DF Tilley