Re: st: how to access STATA sever through MAC terminal

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to access STATA sever through MAC terminal
Date   Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:50:44 +0000

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM, G. Dai <[email protected]> wrote:
> hi all,
> I try to access to my department sever and call STATA through the MAC terminal.
> After connecting the sever, I use command "xstata" to invoke STATA,
> but only get the following
>
> You need X-Windows for this version of Stata.
> Either define the Unix environment variable DISPLAY or
> invoke -stata- rather than -xstata-
>
> So, what should I do then?
>
> Instead, if I use command "stata", I successful invoke STATA.

If you want to use the GUI to Stata on the server and have it
displayed on the client machine from which you are connecting then you
will have to set up X-forwarding when making the SSH connection
(assuming that the Mac server that you are connecting to has the SSH
Daemon configured to support this).

You don't state what OS you are connecting from either.  If its a Mac
or GNU/Linux or UNIX machine then you'll be running a version of Xorg
that will support this fine.  If you're on M$-Windows then you'll need
something like Cygwin with Xorg or Exceed to be able to do this.

A brief overview is given at
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/ssh.html but search around there is
tons of information out there.

Neil

--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/