Re: st: RE: Large data set that won't open

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Large data set that won't open
Date   Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:08:19 +0000

Memory allocation and how it works in Stata is explained at (its the same for
all apps really).

Windows has problems allocating large amounts of RAM on 32-bit
systems, not sure whether your Win7 is 32-bit or 64-bit (see ).  Adding more
RAM won't circumvent this.

-ls- is a synonym for -dir- in Stata although I believe the last time
I tried, accidentally as I forgot what OS I was working under, ls
worked at a DOS command prompt too).  The traditional call for manual
pages under *NIX also works under Stata as -man- is a synonym for
-help- (and once less key-stroke too :-)

"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)

Email -
Website -
Photos -