RE: st: RE: Large data set that won't open

Subject   RE: st: RE: Large data set that won't open
Date   Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:34:30 +0200

<>

But why bother to use spreadsheets here, given that Stata can, as I
mentioned earlier, -use- part of a file? Apart from -if- and -in-, a
-varlist- can also be supplied, so the "split on variables" can be achieved
within Stata.

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kay Walker
Sent: Donnerstag, 24. Juni 2010 10:26
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: Large data set that won't open

Possibly if you can't get into Stata to edit the data file to make it
smaller, drop it into Excel, split the file on variables not cases,(and
copy the identifiers to the "new" half)  so that you can analyse only
those variables and cases you NEED in a particular context. You can
always swap relevant variables in and out of the working data file if
you want to perform further analyses later. I think it's the fact that
the RAM has to hold the program and the relevant part of the datafile in
memory for analysis that is causing the problem, not merely the size of
the datafile vs the program.

Kay (Adelaide)