st: RE: Large data set that won't open

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Large data set that won't open
Date   Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:05:55 +0200

The size of your RAM is hard to tell from your current memory allocation -
the latter is just a lower bound for the former. But I guess you do not have
6G of RAM, do you? You would still need additional RAM for computations,

Note you can -use- a dataset with -if- and -in- qualifiers, so it is still
possible to get a subset into mem...

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of John Antonakis
Sent: Donnerstag, 24. Juni 2010 09:37
Subject: st: Large data set that won't open

I have a rather large data set that I cannot open in Stata; here are the

ls "D:\My Documents\STATA\upstata.dta",
5375.8M   6/23/10 10:44  upstata.dta

When I try to open the data set I get:

. use "D:\My Documents\STATA\upstata.dta", clear
no room to add more observations
    An attempt was made to increase the number of observations beyond
what is currently
    possible.  You have the following alternatives:

     1.  Store your variables more efficiently; see help compress.
(Think of Stata's data
         area as the area of a rectangle; Stata can trade off width and

     2.  Drop some variables or observations; see help drop.

     3.  Increase the amount of memory allocated to the data area using
the set memory
         command; see help memory.

Here is my current memory allocation:

. q memory

Current memory allocation

                    current                                 memory usage
    settable          value     description                 (1M = 1024k)
    set maxvar         5000     max. variables allowed           1.909M
    set memory         1024M    max. data space              1,024.000M
    set matsize        1000     max. RHS vars in models          7.713M

It seems that I just don't have enough RAM to open this file.  Is that

Prof. John Antonakis, Associate Dean
Faculty of Business and Economics
Department of Organizational Behavior
University of Lausanne