Re: st: linear probability model

Subject   Re: st: linear probability model
Date   Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:55:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 23/6/10, dk wrote:
> i have read some where that linear probability model
> fits best for very large sample, where maximum
> likelihood with probit and logit does not work can
> any one explain this.

I don't think that sample size is an issue anymore when
it comes to the choice between linear probability model
and logit/probit. I could imagine that such an argument
played a role say thirty years ago, as the linear
probability model can be estimated in one itteration,
while maximum likelihood typically requires multiple
itterations. However, with the current machines the kind
of dataset would have to be so incredibally huge before
that would become a problem, that you would have run
into other problems long before that.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis