Re: st: Bootstrapping panel data xttobit

Subject   Re: st: Bootstrapping panel data xttobit
Date   Wed, 23 Jun 2010 06:52:28 -0400

-bootstrap- resamples the whole cluster with this syntax. If companies
are nested within the clusters, then you are good to go. If you have a
relatively low number of clusters, your bootstrap will suffer small
sample bias: it is off by a factor of (n-1)/n where n is the number of
clusters. So with 20 or so clusters (when asymptotic inference is
problematic per se), you will surely get something quite a bit off the
target.

To see what exactly is going on, you can shorten your sample to say 5
clusters and 15 firms, so that it is tractable, and -bootstrap,
noisily: tab firm_ID year- or even -bootstrap, noisily: list firm_ID
year clustervar newclustervar-.