st: RE: How to use catplot to display the time variable in date format

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: How to use catplot to display the time variable in date format
Date   Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:06:25 +0100

I wouldn't modify -catplot- (SSC); it's good code....

More seriously, your complaint is really with -graph bar- which is doing
most of the work here. Although there may well be other solutions, this
appears to be a reasonable work-around:

gen time2 = string(time, "%tq")
catplot response time2, percent(time) recast(bar) asyvars stack

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

A Loumiotis

How can I modify the catplot command to display the time variable in
date format and not as numeric format?

For example I'm using an example that Nick Cox has provided with a
small modification to format the time variable as quarters:

 . set obs 1000

 . egen id = seq(), block(10)

 . egen time = seq(), to(10)

 . format time %tq

 . gen response = ceil(3 * runiform())

 . catplot response time, percent(time) recast(bar) asyvars stack

But the catplot command above does not display the time variable in
quarter format even though it has such format.