AW: st: float to numeric??

Subject   AW: st: float to numeric??
Date   Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:07:48 +0200

<>

" even
recast with force did not work!!!  "

Change your call to

*************
recast int  wtdper96 , force
*************

The square brackets in the syntax diagram of the help file are there to
indicate non-mandatory arguments, but you need to omit the brackets if you
do decide to add the option to your call.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Özlen D. Luznar
Gesendet: Montag, 21. Juni 2010 05:30
An: [email protected]
Betreff: re: st: float to numeric??

I should have added that float, compress commands neither worked.  even
recast with force did not work!!!  I am really frustrated with this.  all
I want is to stata recognize values where chipeligrate == 0.1 so that I
can generate some other variable based on that.  I did not encounter this
problem before and honestly am surprised to see I have other variables
that are stored as float in the data set.  Very puzzling.

. recast  int wtfamf96
wtfamf96:  22113 values would be changed; not changed

. describe  wtfamf96

              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
---
wtfamf96        float  %9.0g                  poverty adjusted family weight

. recast int  wtfamf96 [, force]
weights not allowed
r(101);

. recast int  wtcfam96
wtcfam96:  21634 values would be changed; not changed

. recast  wtdper96 {, force}
{ invalid name
r(198);

. recast int  wtdper96 [, force]
weights not allowed
r(101);

. recast long  wtfamf96
wtfamf96:  22113 values would be changed; not changed

. recast long  wtdper96 [, force]
weights not allowed

> .
>
> Check out the -float()- function.
>
> http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?data+types
>
> http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?float
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>>  I have a variable stored as float chip eligibility rate variable.  very
>> straightforward - varies between .1 and 4.  But it is stored as float
>> and
>> gives me major toruble when I am using the values to generate new
>> variables etc.  I would like to store it as numeric so that stata can
>> recognize the values of this variable.  Does anyone have experience with
>> this??
>> . codebook chipeligrate

>> chipeligrate                   chip eligibility rate by year and age and
>> state

>>                   type:  numeric (float)
>>
>>                  range:  [.1,4]                       units:  .01
>>          unique values:  40                       missing .:  0/6585
>>
>>                   mean:   1.92923
>>               std. dev:   .720279
>>
>>            percentiles:        10%       25%       50%       75%
>> 90%
>>                                  1       1.5         2         2
>> 3
>>
>> I need to chnage this variable and store is as int but I can not figure
>> out how. So far I tried compress but it seemed to work but when I
>> described the variable, still float.
>>
>>  Thanks so much for your help in advance.
>>

> -Dave

Özlen D. Luznar
PhD Candidate - Public Policy
Graduate Research Assistant
University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC)
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
410-455-6527 office
443-846-5010 cell