AW: st: how to save summarize data

Subject   AW: st: how to save summarize data
Date   Sat, 19 Jun 2010 18:46:32 +0200

<>

There is no need to speculate on the number of levels in a variable you want
to loop over, you can simply -levelsof- the thing (see NJC`s
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/foreach.html):

*************
sysuse auto, clear
gen myloopmean=.
qui levelsof rep78
foreach lev in `r(levels)'{
su mpg if rep78 ==`lev', mean
replace myloopmean=r(mean) if rep78 ==`lev'
}
bys rep78: egen myegenmean=mean(mpg)
l rep78 myloopmean myegenmean, sepby(rep78) h(20)

Note that the -egen- approach advocated in my earlier posting deals
elegantly and automatically with missings, while the loop solution does
not...

HTH
Martin