Re: st: glm with bin family and link probit VS. probit

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: glm with bin family and link probit VS. probit
Date   Sat, 19 Jun 2010 05:29:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 19/6/10, sun samn wrote:
>    as we all know that if y is binary, this two commands
> get the same results:
> glm y x, fam(bin) link(probit)
> probit y x
> How about for other types of y?
> For my question,  y is fractional response, i.e, y has
> values between 0 and 1, those two command get two different
> results.

What happens is that -probit- only handles binary variables,
in particular, it only sees 0 versus non-zero, while -glm-
will leave your dependent variable as is. Notice that for
a fractional dependent variable you will also have to specify
the -robust- option in order to get reasonable inference.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen