Re: st: Identifying unique values with codebook

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Identifying unique values with codebook
Date   Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:51:40 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 17/6/10, Michael N. Mitchell wrote:
> It seems to me that many of the "gotchas" arise
> from the fact that the default data type is "float"
> instead of "double".

The typical variable in a dataset contains some sort
of measurement, and most measurements are nowhere
near as precise to warant anything more than 2 or
3 digits of precision, so "float" is a perfectly
sensible default. This leaves variables that are
supposed to represent a unique identification
number. Here double or long may help, but these
too can easily become too short for those cases,
which would then require you to switch to strings.
So, I am not convinced about the usefulness if a
switch of the default to double.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie