Re: st: RE: AW: Identifying unique values with codebook

From   Walter Garcia-Fontes <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: AW: Identifying unique values with codebook
Date   Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:37:09 +0200

* Nick Cox [16/06/10 16:18]:
> As Martin says, at root this is a precision problem.
> Neither -codebook- nor anything else is to blame if it is presented with
> the same values. To hold very large integers you may need to consider
> -long- as another possibility, or even a string representation.

Thanks to both, I solved my problem by identifying my "unique" values
with "egen" with the "group" option, my large numbers came from a
transformation I had to do to identify some groups separately which I
could perfectly (and more elegantly) solve with egen.

Walter Garcia-Fontes
mailto: -
Departament d'Economia i Empresa -
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Ramon Trias Fargas 25-27, 08005 Barcelona, Spain
Tel. +34 93 542 2722 - Fax. +34 93 542 1746