AW: st: RE: Deleting similar observations

Subject   AW: st: RE: Deleting similar observations
Date   Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:16:17 +0200

<>

I searched the archive for the error message and found things like
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-11/msg00782.html, hence my
suspicion, but only George can put an end to the speculation...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Nick Cox
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. Juni 2010 11:11
An: [email protected]
Betreff: RE: st: RE: Deleting similar observations

My guess differs. Martin's code should work in any recent version of
Stata. I suspect a typo, but this remains an open question because
George does not disclose precisely what he typed.

In addition, note that this problem is only a very small step away from
that discussed within an FAQ:

FAQ     . . . . . .  Listing observations in a group that differ on a
variable
        11/01   How do I list observations in a group that differ
                on a variable?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/diff.html

Martin Weiss

That makes me think you have an old version of Stata. Note you are meant
disclose any version other than 11.1.

George Chioran

I try this, but I keep getting the message: "time-series operators not
allowed".

Martin Weiss

So Account 7 should also be -drop-ped, I guess:

***********
clear*

inp byte Account str1 Buy_sell
2  b
2  b
2  s
2  b
5  s
5  s
5  s
5  s
7  s
7  s
end

list, noo
bys Account (Buy_sell): drop if Buy_sell[1]==Buy_sell[_N]
list, noo
***********

George Chioran

I have a database that
looks like this:
Account               Buy sell
2                              b
2                              b
2                              s
2                              b
5                              s
5                              s
5                              s
5                              s
7                              s
7                              s
Taken per account, I would like to know if
there is a way to delete all the observations that have the same letter
in
the Buy sell variable. In my case this would delete all observations
from
account 5 since they are all only sell.