Re: st: Cannot open .dta file due to size

From   Steven Dubnoff <>
Subject   Re: st: Cannot open .dta file due to size
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:34:50 -0700

At 10:06 AM 6/14/2010, you wrote:
if you have StatTransfer you can transfer ASCII into .dta first

If I can toot our own horn here, I should mention that you can also select cases, variables and perform random sampling. Stat/Transfer automatically selects Stata types and sets string lengths to minimize the size of your dataset.

These features will also work for .dta -> .dta transfers. It is thus a handy tool for the "file too large for Stata" problem.