Re: st: RE: Making a local with no assigned value zero

From   George Chioran <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Making a local with no assigned value zero
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:25:44 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Nick,

Thank you for the reply. However I do not seem to manage to make the `y1 ' variable equal to nothing. When I type:
if `y1' == "" {
local y1 = 0
I get an error saying type mismatch, and I assume it is because the " " symbol is maybe not recognized as no value? Did I type it in wrong, or would there be another way of saying that `y1' is equal to nothing? Do you also know how I can delete/drop locals once I create them?

----- Original Message ----
From: Nick Cox <>
Sent: Mon, June 14, 2010 10:08:38 PM
Subject: st: RE: Making a local with no assigned value zero

There are various fixes. Here are some:

if "`y1'" == "" local y1 = 0
local x1 = `x1' + `y1'

local x1 = cond("`y1'" != "", `x1' + `y1', `x1')

if "`y1'" != "" local x1 = `x1' + `y1'

George Chioran

My code goes like
this: local x1 = `x1’ + `y1’. I get the `y1’ variable through repeated loops
and sometimes `y1’ is not assigned any value.
When `y1’ does not
have any value, the line local x1 = `x1’ + `y1’ stops my program and I get an invalid
syntax error.

My question is: Could
I somehow make the local `y1’ to be equal to zero, or not to be taken into
consideration in my sum in case `y1’ is not assigned any value?