st: Right skewed (positive) dependent variable

From   SURYADIPTA ROY <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Right skewed (positive) dependent variable
Date   Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:53:25 -0400

Hello everyone,
I have a question relating to right skewed dependent variables, and
would very much appreciate some guidance here. My dependent variables
are heavily right skewed, and originally a logarithmic transformation
did not help with the normality of the (conditional) distribution of
the residuals. I transformed the dependent variables using  - ladder -
(indicate that it did a logarithmic transformation also) and after
carrying out the regressions find that the residuals are normally
distributed, -ovtest- and -linktest- do not indicate any unexplained
variation, the level of significance in all cases are significantly
higher, and the explanatory variable of interest is coming out to be
strongly significant in most cases (all good news!?) I am wondering if
someone could suggest me as to how much faith I can have in the
regressions, and why did my original transformation did not yield the
same results as - ladder- .

Thank you!
Suryadipta.