st: numeric storage type

From   elisabetta.segre@uniroma1.it
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: numeric storage type
Date   Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:36:37 +0200

Dear all,
I have a problem with the numeric storage type of a variable.
The database I am working with (ECHP) presents a variable stored as double, since it has more then 14 digits, and i want to generate its maximum.
But once I use the command "egen mID=max(pID)" it generates automatically a variable stored as float and so the last digits result changed. Nothing changes if after the egen command I type either "recast double mID" or "format mID %14.0g" or both: it is too late! and the last digits remain wrong!
Does anyone know how to make this error go away?

Many thanks in advance
Elisabetta