AW: st: cluster analysis with foreach

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   AW: st: cluster analysis with foreach
Date   Wed, 9 Jun 2010 21:47:22 +0200

<>

That is an obvious problem of my strategy. I was also wondering whether
there might be a limit to the length (i.e. number of levels) in my syntax,
but in terms of -help limits-, both the -local- and the r-return are
probably considered a -macro- and the line
" # of characters in a macro             8,681        165,200
1,081,511"
applies to both...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Im Auftrag von Nick Cox
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. Juni 2010 21:40
An: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Betreff: RE: st: cluster analysis with foreach

Fair point.

Brevity is not all, however. Saving to a local has the merit that it
remains available for later use, whereas r() results are ephemeral.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Martin Weiss

" If you want to do it that way, fine but

levelsof state, local(allstates)
foreach s of local allstates {
}

is one statement fewer."