st: cluster analysis with foreach

From   Maximiliano Manuel Silva Correa <>
Subject   st: cluster analysis with foreach
Date   Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:36:00 -0400

Dear Stata community

Im stuck trying to run a cluster analysis routine throuth diferent
sections of my data. Suppose we have power consumtion data about
different cities of the US. What I'd like to do is to run a cluster
analysis routine (cluster kmeans for example) by state, because i
would like to see in every state which cities have similar power

It would be something like

foreach s in states{

cluster(kmeans, power_city)

(states is a string variable)

Could someone show me the sintax here, or send similar examples?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,