st: AW: counting variables within a row

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: counting variables within a row
Date   Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:54:21 +0200

Casey could try this code, even though I have a suspicion that it is still
way too complicated:

//3 obs, -set seed- to be able to replicate
set obs 3
set seed 343232

//construct fake data
foreach var of newlist met_a1-met_a18{
	gen `var'=rchi2(4)

//get dummies denoting position in ranges
foreach var of varlist met_*{
	gen byte lc_`var'=inrange(`var', 0, 3)
	gen byte mc_`var'=inrange(`var', 3, 6)
	gen byte hc_`var'=`var'>6 & !mi(`var')