st: RE: QUestion using -fs- package

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: QUestion using -fs- package
Date   Tue, 8 Jun 2010 22:16:09 +0200

Say -gen file="`f'"- then. A numeric var cannot have the dot in ".dta" in
it, nor any other characters...

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nuno Soares
Sent: Dienstag, 8. Juni 2010 22:11
Subject: st: QUestion using -fs- package

Hi everyone,

I'm using the -fs- command to look into a directory for several files, open
them, insert a new variable with the file name, and save them. The code is
the following:

qui fs *.dta
foreach f in `r(files)' {
	use `f', clear
	cap drop file
	gen file=`f'
	save, replace

However, when I run the code I get the following error code:
wscopear:  operator invalid

Basically the gen file=`f' command is returning the above error. Any way of
doing what it is intended to do?

All the best,