st: Extra decimal places?

From   Devora Shamah <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Extra decimal places?
Date   Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:26:50 -0400

Hello All,

I am having an issue with Stata adding places to decimal values. I am using Stata 11.0. I have several datasets that I pulled from Access using StatTransfer. In preparation to append and merge the datasets I added a decimal number to the id codes based on the school id to ensure that id was unique across all the datasets.

For example:
gen id=  ApplicationTableID+.3

id is a numeric variable, formatted as %9.0g

I have discovered that although the id numbers all read X.3, the actual values range from X.29999 -X.3002 which shows up when we move the data into excel and on some of the tables.

The files have been compressed, and reshaped. Does anyone know why Stata assigns varying values across the observations?

Thanks,

Devora

Devora Shamah, Ph.D.
Manager, Research and Reporting