Re: st: AW: mfx-Elasticity for a dummy variable

From   A Loumiotis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: mfx-Elasticity for a dummy variable
Date   Tue, 8 Jun 2010 14:05:30 +0300

Nyasha,

The elasticity of y with respect to the dummy variable in the way that
you have defined your regression will be the coefficient of the dummy
variable T times the dummy variable itself.  If you calculate it at
the mean point of T then it will be different from the coefficient of
the dummy variable.  If you calculate it at T=1, it will be the same.

However elasticities with respect to dummy variables have no
meaningful interpretation because the dummy variable changes in a
discrete fashion (from 0 to 1).

Antonis Loumiotis