st: RE: Monte Carlo Simulation w/ Pareto Dist. on Tails

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Monte Carlo Simulation w/ Pareto Dist. on Tails
Date   Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:50:03 +0200

<>

The example in -h simulate- is the best way to get started with MC in Stata.

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of grosegre@msu.edu
Sent: Sonntag, 6. Juni 2010 20:43
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: Monte Carlo Simulation w/ Pareto Dist. on Tails

Dear Statalist:

As a novice user of Stata, I am attempting to construct a Monte Carlo
simulation modeling a Home Price Index, while correcting for
in-frequent and extreme index returns and an AR(3) process.

A previous Monte Carlo simulation was developed in excel: with the
E(x) and std. dev based upon historical numbers; random returns and
errors define by a Normal Prob. Distribution; and including an AR(3)
process in returns. However, it  failed to adequately simulate the
index, which may be due to failing to account for the tail gain/losses
greater then assumed with a normal prob. distribution. To adjust based
on extreme-value theory, I would like to adjust by modeling the tail
returns,  past the 3rd std. dev., with a Generalized Pareto
Distribution. Also,  I would like to return the mean and std. dev. of
the returns and, provided negative index returns, am average count and
distribution of losses.

Any insights into or resources for the correct stata programing
commands? I appreciate the guidance!

Greg

Gregory R. Grose
Michigan State University