st: RE: AW: RE: RE: RE: hetprob - first Stata version

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: AW: RE: RE: RE: hetprob - first Stata version
Date   Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:57:40 +0100

Not so, as far as I can recall. In older versions of Stata that I can
remember, -help- on what's new was restricted to what's new in each

Martin Weiss

The -whatsnew- only go back to -whatsnew6-, which records fixes during
lifetime of Stata 6. The new features for release 6 must have been in
something like -help whatsnew5to6-, which I cannot access from my

Nick Cox

-hetprob- was introduced as an official Stata command in Stata 6. (Old
manuals, is an answer to the last question.)

Martin Weiss

So apparently there was a version on ssc, still accessible at -ssc d
hetprob-. If you have Stata -ssc type hetprob.ado-, you will see that it
sets -version- to 5.0, and gives a release date of "07mar1997", which
indicate that it first appeared under 5.0, as in

Martin Weiss

You can always -which- the thing to see the version, in this case -*!
version 3.13.7  09jun2009-. Or -hsearch- for it, and see which
come up. It is mentioned that there were fixes to it in Stata 8, and
whatsnews 6-7 do not show any entries for it. So it is "quite old", as
guess. Why does its age matter, btw?

Does anyone know which version of Stata introduced the command
(Or where to look for the answer.)